Running in Action

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 154 - Rest

"Toooomorrow, tomorrow! I love ya! Tomorrow, you're only a day away." - Annie

Miles Ran: 491.78 Dollars Raised: $3,562.60 (THANK YOU JOY FLANAGAN!!!!!)

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's finally here, and I sincerely can't believe it. Today was just a bunch of emotions rolled into a big ball of Marathon excitement.

I awoke at 6AM from my first Marathon nightmare. I dreamt that first, Katharine and I both forgot to give all of our bags to someone and were stuck carrying them through the beginning of the race. Then, at one point the course was so crowded with people everyone was tripping over each other so we decided to go around them--which entailed running through restaurants, a castle?, apartments, woods, etc. only to become completely lost and decide to--GIVE UP. It was the worst feeling ever!!

I made myself nap for another hour before I got ready to go meet Anna-Ruth at the Blessing of the Athletes at Old South Church. When I walked out of Copley station the 5K was wrapping up (what I had done last year), so I had to walk down a little ways to reach the other side of the street. The sermon was great--kind of folky, cheesy, but just what I needed. It was fun, and I was reminded of some of things that got me to where I am today. One of the songs went like this, from what I can remember "We are going.. Heaven knows where we are going, but we'll get there. It will be hard, and the road will be muddy and rough." I was very glad I went, but not so glad about the deep fried french toast I ate for brunch...

When I got home Clark told me he "had something for me" so I drove over to his apartment where he presented me with a different kind of marathon jacket that he received that morning that was too small for him. It's great! I think I'll wear it over to Athlete's Village in the morning.

I went home and had a little while to kill before Mom and Dad were arriving at their hotel, so I wrapped up getting everything together for my post-run attire that they will bring, and anything else they would need during the Marathon. I also had a really hard time writing my thank you note to Rick... he has made SUCH an impact on my life over these past few months, and taught me to truly believe in myself like I never have. It's like I've had an inner makeover. How can you possibly give enough thanks to that special person who stepped into your life out of the blue and became one of your heroes? Someone who changed your life? Someone who makes you feel like they believe in you and will do everything in their power to help you accomplish something great--just after you first meet them? Needless to say, tears were shed writing this letter.

Afterward I drove out to Natick where my parents are staying, relaxed for awhile, and picked out a spot around mile 9 in front of the Hyundai lot for them to see me. They have SIX Belle helium balloons, obviously, so I don't think there's a chance I will miss them. Then we went and picked up my Granny and Pop-Pop, and on the way, saw a rainbow. A rainbow is a sign for us that my Aunt Ginny and my Grandma's fiance Roy are with us. After BOTH of their funerals gorgeous rainbows appeared, so whenever I see one, I know they're looking down on me. It was just perfect. After we welcomed my grandparents we picked up Clark and had a "MARATHONERS CARBO LOAD BUFFET" at the hotel, which was also just what I needed, and then Clark and I headed home.

I got back, put on Sam and Katharine's Marathon Mix, and danced around while I figured out what to put on the back of my singlet. It finally came to me: NO REGRETS! That's something I've felt myself saying often over the past few weeks. I have no regrets. I feel completely prepared, and I wouldn't have done anything differently with my training. I hope it will inspire someone running behind me to give it their all and leave no questions behind.

Thank you to everyone for your outstanding support. Every hug I received today from great friends and family felt more special to me than I ever remember. Everyone lingered just a little longer, and squeezed a little harder, as if their wishes for me would transfer through.

I'm so excited. I can't wait to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment