Running in Action

Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 148 - 3.23 miles (24:25)

"I'm shipping off to Boston! Ohhhhhh!" - Dropkick Murphys

Miles Ran: 480.32 Dollars Raised: $3,295.60

Sometimes I run so fast I feel like I'm flying. My feet are barely touching the ground, I feel really light, my arm swing is low. I'm weaving in and out of pedestrians. I'm on a mission. I just usually can't do that for 3+ miles.

A run like today reminds you how every time you run a certain distance and challenge yourself, you're accomplishing something. I have those runs where I feel like I'm dragging, or I'm distracted, or my stride is feeling really heavy...but you stick through it. And for runs like today's, it's worth it.

I had uploaded Katharine's "Marathon Mix" to my ipod, along with a few others, and it's interesting to see how different songs effect you. Listening to Dropkick Murphy's made me really kick it into high gear.

One of the traps I tend to fall into (maybe good, maybe bad) is if I'm feeling comfortable at a certain pace I'll try to maintain it for the rest of my run. Today my average pace was 7:30. I think that's the fastest I've ever run 3 miles in my life. It makes me wonder how I would do in another 5K. I've been able to compare myself in 5 milers and half marathons, but now that my endurance and speed has increased so much I'd love to look into a 5K in the area that I can whip my old time with. Of course there's the one the day before the marathon that I did last year, but I don't think that's the best idea.

With the marathon only a WEEK away, I'm starting the get the questions that pretty much all sound like "are you ready?!" and YES, I'm totally ready. I'm SO excited that I can hardly contain myself, but at the same time feel like my body has gone into hibernation mode or something. Maybe that's why I was able to run so fast today--because I've been pulling back that coil of energy since Saturday afternoon and just had to release and let it spring forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment